Digital Drawing using Procreate
By the end of this Procreate course, you should be able to:
- Create artwork using the Procreate app, employing a wide range of drawing and editing skills
- Use the creation and selection tools
- Use brushes and also be able to apply effects to their artwork
- Understand the difference between raster and vectorised art
- Know how to colour their artwork – making and using their own colour palettes and also creating them directly from photographs and how to recolour existing work
- Understand file formats for saving and sharing their work
- Gain an in-depth understanding of creating custom textured canvases that resemble watercolour paper.
- Learn to create, edit and organise Brush Sets Folders.
- Acquire the skills to download and use commercial brushes, stamps, and papers from the internet.
- Enhance your colour adjustment skills through various techniques.
- Discover the methods of creating artwork with transparent backgrounds.
- Replicate the styles of gouache and watercolour paintings using advanced techniques and a variety of brushes.
- Master the technique of removing backgrounds from imported images.
- Familiarise yourself with the Text options in Procreate and utilise them in creative ways.
What will be covered in this Procreate course?
Basic Interface & Getting Started
- Outline of why Procreate is such a popular and powerful tool in the design industry
- Introduction to the key Interface tools and preferences
- Creating a new Canvas + Resolution and Colour Profiles
- How to then resize if necessary
- Understanding how size and dpi affect the number of layers available
- Using an existing file or illustration from photographs as a starting point
- Brush Basics and brush sensitivity
- Quick Shapes
Starting to create a drawing
- Introducing some shortcut gestures.
- Drawing Guide and Symmetry
- Layers and Blend Modes
- Selection Tools and editing selections
- File Formats and saving your work and ways of sharing.
- Introduction to the Colour palettes and the ways you can create your own palette the colour panel or from a photograph
- Different ways to recolour artwork via the colour panel
- Creating a gesture shortcut
- Adding colour interest through Transparency
- Adjusting colour with the Magic Wand
Editing existing artwork and applying special effects
- Masking to create clean edges via clipping masks and layers
- Applying different effects to your artwork via the magic wand and selection cursor
- Understand different ways to be creative with the tools
- Saving work in a format for printing
Preparation for Digital Fine Art
- Explore methods to create custom textured canvases.
- Acquire advanced mark-making techniques.
Traditional Painting Techniques in a Digital Setting
- Learn two methods to achieve a gouache painting style that goes beyond basic brushwork.
- Understand the concept of colour blocking.
- Become proficient in using the reference window.
- Discover two methods to create watercolour effects, including the use of the Feather tool.
Correcting and Adjusting Colors with Blend Modes
- Master the art of removing backgrounds from imported images.
- Learn the techniques of colour balancing.
- Gain an understanding of Curves and Gradient maps for advanced colour correction.
This course is for everyone
What to bring to class
- iPad and an Apple pencil with Procreate downloaded. See list below for compatible iPads.
- A pen and notepad for taking notes.
Instructor: Jehad Haddad
Duration : 5 sessions
Cost: JD 220